Tuesday, May 13, 2008

August 1st, 1776

My Dearest Debby,

I find myself in the midst of quite a predicament while here in Philadelphia. I cannot wait to come home to you my darling wife but I fear that I may not be able to for a long while now. We are currently attempting to face down a giant that is much larger than ourselves. Unfortunately, The Giant's strengths do not merely end in size. Amount of artillery power and powder are also of their advantage as is money in general. If we stand any chance at all it is in will power alone. Our men fight for their freedom and for their land, possessions, and families .Here The Giant will discover its weakness I believe. We are at an all around advantage with familiarity with the terrain.
I truly believe that we have a long road ahead of us my dear. The end is no where in sight. I do however, have the utmost respect for General Washington and have instilled all of my faith in him that he will see our troops through this time. He is a courageous and modest man and I doubt that there is any other man as well suited for such a position than he.

It is a sad disappointment to me that it has come to this war at all but I would be a fool to deem it unnecessary. Dickinson was a fool himself to resist the motion for as long as he did and a good 400 Boston patriots gave their lives because of it. None of them being professional soldiers but merely citizens of Massachusetts who willingly gave their lives to defend what was already theirs. Do not dwell upon this though my dear for they took with them more than 1,000 British soldiers and 100 of their officers and in this we may rejoice! Dickinson could hold no defense against the war after this. No one in the room wanted to hear about another of his plans for peace. I believe everyone in the room felt it necessary to rise up against such a brutish attack. Many a men found themselves rather embarrassed to be in the same room with such a man that would suggest otherwise. In this manner Dickinson found himself overruled.

During the first of our meetings Mr. John Adams made himself out to be a blathering idiot. He even went so far as to insult the Quakers and their ways. I could not believe the fool and had to choke back a spat of laughter. Dickinson of course appearing much less of an idiot became the voice of reason that was listened to and proposed that we publish a statement, issue a non-importation, non-consumption, non-exportation of British goods act, and prepare a loyal address to His Majesty. All but four of the colonies voted in favor of this. Due to Mr. Adams foolish ways I found myself being in the remaining nine.

I spoke with Mr. Adams the afternoon of his outburst and cautioned him as to his ways. I merely suggested that he had won nothing at all by opposing the motion and suggested that he only made himself new enemies. I advised him to seek out the gentlemen of Virginia because everyone follows their lead. If one does not win Virginia than one will win nothing at all.

Fortunately, the brutish and uncalled for attack on Boston seemed to justify Mr. Adams concerns and we came together to vote once again. This time he remained much more calm and blew the defense out of their wigs. Mr. Dickinson was left without defense. Mr. Adams moved that the Congress might adopt the Massachusetts Militia. This of course brought about much grumbling, all of which ceased when he suggested that it be lead by Colonel Washington. This was a brilliant move and I, myself, felt compelled to act in its favor and stood up in support of it. Washington being the humble man he is blushed and accepted in a meek manner. I recall that he was wearing a black band around his arm that very day in mourning of the lost men of Massachusetts, a very touching sentiment.

So my darling Debby I may be here a while but you may rest assured that it is for good reason that I am away. We would have been complete fools to allow The Giant to come any further without putting up some resistance. We are all at the aid of Massachusetts and we will not abandon course until all of our men lie dead in the fields and there are none left to fight but women and children. The Giant may have money but we have willpower, discipline, and intelligence fighting on our behalf. Do not fret my dear for we will not lose. Continue to pray that God may keep our men and their officers.

All of my love,

Your Humble Husband,

B. Franklin

References: Mr. Viles' classroom speaches, and John Adams on HBO

No comments: