Sunday, September 2, 2007

The World is Flat post 6

I found this to be a truly amazing book. I learned a lot that I had heard rumors about or had seen on the news but had never had any real knowledge of. The flat world has a huge impact on everyone, even me and how I communicate with friends after and during school. According to this book I am pretty much on the right track as far as my future plans go. If I stay on my current path my career choice should be fairly "untouchable". All in all I find the flat world at the present date to be an amazing place and I believe that it will continue to be just as amazing as long as we do not begin to take matters too far.

All in all I found this to be a really informative and useful book. I am a better informed American citizen because of it. Friedman seemed to remain unbiased the entire book and it seems as though he definitely wants people to embrace the flat world. I found it to be rather insulting that he just skipped over all of the American people that had lost their jobs to outsourcing without a care. But other than that it was a decent read.

Everyday I take advantage of the flat world. I enjoy the cell phone service and it is a major way to keep in touch with all of my friends through text messaging. You can accommodate almost all of your needs through a computer. After school and extra-curricular activites, I can come home hop on the computer, look up my assignments, complete them all through Microsoft Office, send an email to my mentor, and then log on to instant messenger to chat with all of my friends that are bound to be doing the same things. During the day if I need to briefly inform my mother of some sort of news I can send her a text message from my phone to hers so that we are both on the same page. Lets face it, the two and half hours that I spend on a bus every day would be simply torturous without my iPod, providing me with access to all of my favorite songs and games at my fingertips.

According to Friedman my future should be fairly "untouchable". He uses the word to describe jobs that can not be shipped overseas to foreign countries for their workers to do at cheaper rates. He says that any "specialized" job can not be shipped over to China for their laborers to do. He says that these are people such as Michael Jordan and J.K. Rowling. While I will most likely never fall into this category I probably will fall into another he describes as being "untouchable". I plan to get my bachelors degree in teaching and go on to get my masters in school counseling so I can be a middle school guidance counselor. Friedman says that "untouchable" careers are also careers that are "localized and anchored. This category includes many, many people. They are untouchable because their jobs must be done in a specific location, either because they involve some specific local knowledge or because they require face-to-face, contact or interaction with a customer, patient, colleague, or audience". Being a middle school level guidance counselor does require face-to-face contact and interaction with all of your students, therefore someone in China or India would have an awfully hard time filling the position.

In short I believe that the flat world is something that we should embrace. Without technological developments we would stay in the same mind state forever and human interaction would never grow. Now it is just as simple to have a best friend in Japan as it is to have one two states away. I would be beside myself without all of my small pieces of technology that I carry around. Sometimes development in this area can be taken too far and you can lose sight of the purpose, but for the most part growing and learning together as a world instead of a country I believe can and will be very beneficial.

No comments: